Backdating form

You can claim housing benefit and/or council tax reduction for a past period. Do this as soon as you realise you want to ask for a backdate, as we can only go back the maximum period from when we receive your request.

You can complete the relevant part of the claim form that deals with backdating, or send a letter in separately.

The reasons for this will be explained in our letter.

If you disagree with our decision, you can ask us to look at it again, or you can appeal against it.

If the claimant is returning to work after leaving benefits and claiming WTC, then it is likely that you will receive automatic backdating.

It is important to note that any backdated amount due will be reduced by any support received under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (such as NASS payments) unless any DWP backdating has already been reduced to take these payments into account.

Prior to 6 April 2012, the backdating period was 93 days.

Changes of circumstances can be backdated up to 1 month.

She applies for tax credits on 8th May 2012 (within one month).

The claim for tax credits is treated as being made on the date she claimed asylum (12th May 2008).

Leave a Reply